Our New York Law Firm Helps Ensure Companies Advertise Legally and Ethically
Advertising law attorneys help victims of unfair marketing practices
Companies make a lot of claims in their advertisements and marketing. Not all of those claims are true or accurate. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is the U.S. government agency that regulates advertising and protects consumers from unfair, deceptive and dishonest advertising practices. They conduct investigations and sue companies that violate laws and FTC regulations.
The FTC regulations say that companies’ advertising claims must be truthful, fair, and evidence based. Additional laws apply for consumer leases, consumer credit, 900 phone numbers, products sold by mail or telemarketing, items sold or advertised to children, contests and sweepstakes, and warrantees. An advertising law attorney can help consumers identify and prosecute companies that violate FTC regulations and advertising laws. They also counsel companies on how to comply with advertising rules and regulations.
Most common issues handled by advertising law attorneys
Some of the most common issues handled by advertising lawyers include marketing and advertising related to:
- Children. Companies that advertise directly to children or market products for children to their parents must comply with specific standards. There are special rules about food advertisements directed to children and adolescents.
- Endorsements. The FTC has specific standards for endorsements and testimonials used in advertising. These rules apply to claims by organizations, celebrities, experts, and consumers.
- Environmental marketing. Products that are advertised as environmentally friendly or recycled or have other “green” claims must cite reliable and competent evidence to support the claims.
- Health claims. If an advertisement makes health-related claims, they must have supporting evidence to prove the claim. This includes claims for food (fresh, prepared or packaged), over-the-counter drugs, dietary supplements, contact lenses, and many other health-related products.
- Made in the USA. If a company markets products as “Made in the USA,” it must be entirely made in the USA or the company must disclose how much of the product’s content is made in the USA.
- Online advertising and marketing. Companies that advertise online must follow specific rules and guidelines, especially when it comes to protecting children and the privacy of children.
- Telemarketing. The FTC has many rules for telemarketing to protect consumers from unwanted calls, robocalling, and other intrusive marketing practices.
The FTC’s website has many resources to help consumers and businessesIf you think that you have been a victim of an illegal marketing or advertising practice, an experienced advertising law attorney can help you file a complaint and get compensation when appropriate.
To get help with advertising law issues, contact Law Office of Jenna F. Karadbil, P.C.
The attorneys at Law Office of Jenna F. Karadbil, P.C. help our consumers and businesses in New York, New York deal with unfair advertising and marketing practices. We help consumers file complaints with the FTC and help businesses ensure that the marketplace is fair and competitive.
Contact Law Office of Jenna F. Karadbil, P.C. to get an advertising law attorney who will fight to maintain a fair and honest marketplace
Call (646) 527-7323 or contact us online to speak with a New York attorney from Law Office of Jenna F. Karadbil, P.C. today.